STARTS THURSDAY, JULY 22 WITH THE SET-UP OF THE GRAND CHAPITEAU AND THE CIRQUE DU SOLEIL VILLAGE
Varekai opens Thursday, July 29
In Foorstrat corner with Vuurtorenweg
Oostende , July 22, 2010 - Cirque du Soleil raised the white Grand Chapiteau (Big Top) in Oostende this morning, and started the set up of the Cirque du Soleil Village in preparation of the premiere of its latest live production Varekai. This event took place this afternoon where a team of 60-plus men and women hoisted more than 100 steel poles from the ground up.
About the white Grand Chapiteau and the Cirque du Soleil Village:
- The Grand Chapiteau stands 17 metres high and is 50 metres in diameter.
- The 4 masts stand at 25 metres tall each.
- 550 pegs are required to hold the Grand Chapiteau firmly to the 4,500 square metres of asphalt.
- The Grand Chapiteau can accommodate more than 2,500 people.
- The entire site set-up includes installation of entrance, hospitality and rehearsal tents, box office, administrative offices, kitchen and school.
- Four 500 kva generators provide the electricity to the Grand Chapiteau and infrastructure.
- The Grand Chapiteau, the Tapis Rouge and Artistic tents are all climate control with air conditioning in warm season or heating for colder season.
- Varekai travels via 70 trailers carrying more than 1,000 tons of equipment for the tour.
Cirque du Soleil box office:
As part of the Cirque du Soleil Village, a box office will be set up at the front of the Grand Chapiteau. As of Wednesday, July 28 between 18h to 2 0h30, tickets for Varekai may be purchased in person.
Please note : Box office regular hours are from 2 hours prior to show time to half hour after beginning of show. It is closed on Mondays. Tickets can also be purchased online at cirquedusoleil.com .
Tuesdays to Thursdays at 20h
Fridays and Saturdays at 16h and 20h
Sundays at 14h and 18h
No performances on Mondays.
Exceptions : no 16 h performance on Friday August 6; Wednesday August 18 shows at 16h and 20h; no shows on Tuesday August 24; Sunday August 29, shows at 13h and 17h
For further press information please contact:
TWINS | Events & PR
0475 78 63 88
0477 80 80 85