It all started today with the raising of the blue-and-yellow Grand Chapiteau at Del Mar Fairgrounds
Opens Wednesday, April 25 for a limited engagement
San Diego, CA – April 19, 2012 – The first visible sign of the arrival of Cirque du Soleil and its live production TOTEM in San Diego is the raising of the blue-and-yellow Grand Chapiteau (Big Top) and the set-up of the Cirque du Soleil Village. This event took place today at Del Mar Fairgrounds in San Diego where a team of 60-plus men and women have hoisted more than 100 steel poles from the ground up.
About the Grand Chapiteau and the Cirque du Soleil Village:
• The Grand Chapiteau seats more than 2,600 people.
• The entire site set-up takes 8 days. This includes installation of entrance, hospitality and rehearsal tents, box office, administrative offices and kitchen.
• The Grand Chapiteau stands 19 meters high, 51 meters in diameter.
• The 4 masts stand at 25 meters tall each.
• 550 pegs are required to hold the Grand Chapiteau firmly to the 4,500 square meters of asphalt.
• The Grand Chapiteau, the Tapis Rouge and Artistic tents are all climate control with air conditioning in warm seasons or heating for colder seasons.
• TOTEM travels via 65 trailers carrying more than 1,200 pounds of equipment for the tour.
As part of the Cirque du Soleil village, a box office is located inside the entrance tent through a designated Box office entrance will be opened as of Wednesday, April 25 between 5 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Tickets for TOTEM may be purchased in person. Regular box office hours are from 2 hours prior to show time to 30 minutes after the beginning of the show from Tuesday through Sunday.
Tickets for TOTEM can be purchased at all time online via www.cirquedusoleil.com/totem.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 8 p.m.; Thursdays through Saturdays at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.; Sundays at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.; and dark on Mondays. Visit our website for a detailed show schedule.
Cirque du Soleil gratefully acknowledges the sponsor of the TOTEM 2012 North American tour: Infiniti, CGI, XEROX, Sun Life Financial and American Express.
Joice Truban Curry
C3 Communications Inc