Be ready to invoke the imaginary, provoke the senses and evoke the emotions of millions of people around the world.
Reporting to the Technical Director and working under the supervision of the Head of Lighting, the Assistant Head of Lighting will be a highly-motivated individual who is inspired and keen to contribute to, and improve the show quality & technical operations of the show. You will be required to:
- Support the Head of Lighting in all aspects of lighting operations including: leadership, performances, rehearsals, training, maintenance, administration, and transfer operations;
- Deputise for the Head of Lighting, and replace the Head of Lighting in his absence.
- Maintain the artistic integrity of the lighting design in collaboration with the Head of Lighting;
- Follow all Cirque du Soleil (CDS) and regional Health & Safety standards, regulations, and procedures in the execution of all lighting related activities;
- Maintain, update, and implement any relevant documentation including: light plots, inventory, focus notation, cue sheets, system specifications, load plans, technical drawings, maintenance logs, budget tracking, and customs documentation with the Head of Lighting;
- Participate in a regular rotation of show and rehearsal duties at the lighting console, the follow-spot, and on deck as a stage hand;
- Contribute to all regular and incidental inspections, maintenance, repairs, and long-term upgrades of the lighting equipment;
- With the Head of Lighting, oversee and execute all transfer operations including: equipment strike & installation, transport loading, interdepartmental assistance, lighting focus and program validation in accordance with the lighting design, and acrobatic policies;
- Follow the requirements detailed for customs and logistics with regards to the transport of material of touring productions;
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes and experience:
- Personnel management experience;
- Good communication skills and a collaborative spirit;
- Ability to handle contingencies and work well under pressure;
- Post-Secondary accreditation in live entertainment, theatre production, electrical disciplines (or equivalent work experience);
- A minimum of four years' experience as a lighting technician;
- Working Technical knowledge of lighting equipment including: Grand MA Series 2 lighting consoles, VariLite moving lights, scrollers, LED fixtures, and conventional instruments;
-Knowledge & competent ability to carry out both basic & advanced maintenance & repairs of VariLite moving lights;
- Ability to work high above the ground (climbing abilities essential);
- Good general understanding of all technical aspects of a show an asset;
- Knowledge of Microsoft software for Windows;
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential;
- Available to tour full time and to work in foreign countries.