Note: This job posting is to fill a temporary position on the MSC Meraviglia cruise ship. If you are hired for this position, you will be an employee of our partner, MSC Cruises. This means you will be on their company payroll and will comply with their employment policies. Also note that this position involves working and living aboard a cruise ship for 6 to 9 months with possibilities of renewal.
Our partner, MSC Cruises, is looking for a performance medicine therapist to join the team aboard MSC Meraviglia. Reporting operationally to the Show Operations Director and functionally to the MSC Cruise Medical Director, you will contribute to the health and well-being of the crew members and artists performing for the Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows.
• Deliver physical evaluations, rehabilitative and emergency care relevant to the functional demand of the artists and environment (clinical diagnosis, therapeutic care and emergency response);
• Maintain and optimize emergency preparedness of the environment;
• Consistently document and manage all medical information, interactions and events as per medico-legal requirements, while upholding artist-therapist confidentiality at all times;
• Actively collaborate with coaches and the Show Operations Director in establishing and implementing programs directed at the prevention of injury relevant to an artist’s specific challenges (using various exercise approaches);
• Identify and establish appropriate medical network at each port city;
• Accompany artists to medical appointments when indicated and ensure all necessary documents are being obtained, properly communicated and filed;
• Support the Show Operations Director, Artistic lead and Coach on the functional status of artists under your care;
• Communicate relevant information to the dedicated MSC representative regarding insurance and worker’s compensation;
• Maintain adequate stocks of medical and emergency supplies on board for Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows;
• Collaborate with on board ship medical team as it relates to artist medical management;
• Ensure performance medicine interventions are aligned with Cirque du Soleil standards, including but not limited to: appropriate documentation of emergency procedures, professional licensure, medical records, policies and procedures, etc.
· University-degree in Physiotherapy (Physical therapy in the USA) or certification in Athletic Therapy (Athletic Training in the USA)
· Valid CPR certification and Emergency Sports First Responder or EMT courses;
· At least 4 years of relevant clinical experience
· Experience with manual therapy, exercise therapy and emergency care;
· Experience working with athletes or dancers
· Working knowledge of computer software
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; the applicant should be able to pass a CEFR Level A1 English examination
· Ability to work and communicate with medical and paramedical professionals
· Adaptability to work with different cultures and different needs
· High sense of ethic and professionalism
Cirque du Soleil at Sea
MSC Cruises pair up with Cirque du Soleil to offer its guests, in a purpose-built entertainment venue, a Cirque du Soleil at Sea
exclusive shows, on-board the Meraviglia fleet.The
shows are created and produced by 45 DEGREES, a Cirque du Soleil company that also creates exclusive content, immersive experiences and customized events all over the world.
The world’s fourth largest cruise line and largest privately-owned cruise company, and market leader in the Mediterranean, South America and South Africa. Following several years of unprecedented growth, MSC Cruises sails throughout the year in the Mediterranean, and offers a wide range of seasonal itineraries.