Note: This job posting is to fill a temporary position on one of the MSC ships. If you are hired for this position, you will be an employee of our partner, MSC Cruises. This position involves working and living aboard a cruise ship for 6 to 9 months with possibilities of renewal.
Under the supervision of the Show Operations Director, the Technical Director is responsible for fostering a high-performance, accountable work environment that allows for innovation, creativity and quality to be at the core of daily operations. He or she will also be required to lead, plan and coordinate all activities to ensure the technical integrity of the 2 shows on board
· Manage the daily technical operations of the shows;
· Schedule and supervise technical crew;
· Manage all technical equipment and act as a point of contact for partners/service providers;
· Maintain a safe working environment at all times by adhering to and enforcing established workplace health and safety policies including fall protection protocols; the use of personal protective equipment; safe handling of tools, equipment and hazardous substances; and the promotion of respect for the dangers of the working environment;
· Draft Request for Quote (RFQ) documents for purchasing;
· Work in close collaboration with Cirque du Soleil Technical Director;
· Manage and oversee rigging operations and ensure that systems function within established artistic, technical and safety parameters;
· Provide advice, recommendations and information on safety issues with regards to climbing equipment and working at height;
· Determine and develop cross training plans to ensure continuity of technical operations;
· Research and purchase items as required;
· Plan and participate in show track rotation;
· Inspect and maintain rigging and other show equipment, and keep records of inspections and alterations;
· Keep all departmental archives, stock lists, technical documentation documents up to date;
· Ensure adherence to MSC and Cirque du Soleil policies & procedures;
· Perform any other task requested by the Show Operations Director.
· 5 years’ experience in technical management in theatres or equivalent;
· General understanding of all technical aspect of a show;
· Risk Assessment analysis and management experience;
· Knowledge of rope splicing an asset;
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; the applicant should be able to pass a CEFR Level A1 English examination;
· Work knowledge of computer software;
· Ability to adapt to contingencies and work under pressure;
· Strong Communication skills;
· Ability to plan and supervise and motivate personnel (leadership skills);
Cirque du Soleil at Sea
MSC Cruises, in partnership with Cirque du Soleil, offers its guests, in a purpose-built entertainment venue, Cirque du Soleil at Sea exclusive shows, on-board the Meraviglia fleet.
MSC Cruises is the world’s fourth largest cruise line and largest privately-owned cruise company, and market leader in the Mediterranean, South America and South Africa.