Specialist - Accounting Standards and Financial Information (Complex Accounting)
Life at Cirque is about sharing our passion and about creating wonder with talented colleagues, all the while delivering at the highest quality in a fast-moving environment. Boldness and curiosity are a part of our DNA and hopefully a part of yours too. Together, we work hard, juggle priorities, shift trajectories, have loads of fun and, above all, dare to reinvent ourselves and meet new challenges.
Accounting Standards plays a strategic role in Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group’s Finance team, providing the department and business units with consulting services on the application of accounting standards and the reporting of financial information for complex and unusual transactions.
As a Specialist – Accounting Standards reporting to the Director of Accounting Standards, your responsibilities will include:
- Serving as business advisor on transactions involving multidisciplinary teams (Taxation, Legal, Treasury, etc.) to offer an accounting perspective on how these transactions will affect Cirque;
- Reviewing contracts, drafting complete related accounting positions, and working with Financial Information and Operational Accounting to coordinate the procedures required to ensure compliance with the financial information needs of Cirque's agreements;
- Helping implement structured internal accounting standards that meet Cirque's needs, keeping these current and ensuring that they are available and communicated properly to Cirque stakeholders;
- Providing technical support with regard to accounting standards and financial accounting, including drafting opinions, to the various Finance teams and business units;
- Tracking the ongoing progress of accounting standards relevant to the company (mainly the US GAAP), and updating your technical knowledge current;
- Analyzing and determining the impacts of changes to accounting standards on financial statements, disclosure and the accounting process;
- Helping analyze and document depreciation tests for the long-term assets of both the group as a whole and its component entities;
- Helping implement models to support complex analyses subsequent to the application of specific accounting standards, conducting reviews and conveying the information to stakeholders;
- Reviewing current models, complex analyses and non-recurring transactions;
- Helping integrate new subsidiaries with multidisciplinary teams, including the assessment of accounting policies and their alignment with Cirque’s own policies;
- Helping draft and review notes for financial statements and the framework for consolidated financial statements audited, in compliance with according to accounting standards;
- Reviewing the financial statements of Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group’s companies to ensure they are complying with accounting standards (US GAAP or Local GAAP);
- Preparing and delivering internal training sessions on the latest developments in accounting standards and various accounting topics.
We want to meet you if you have:
- A recognized accounting designation (CPA, CA);
- At least eight years' relevant experience as a professional in a similar industry position or in an accounting firm;
- Good knowledge of US accounting standards (an asset) or comprehensive knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- A keen ability to interpret accounting standards and their practical application in business transactions and analyses;
- Thoroughness, an analytical mindset, sound professional judgment, and the ability to multitask;
- The ability to work in a dynamic and stimulating environment with tight deadlines and evolving priorities;
- High-level proficiency with Excel;
- Proficiency with SAP and Longview (an asset);
- Fluency in English and French, both spoken and written.
Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is much more than just a show: it’s also you. At the centre of Cirque's creative energy are talented people with a passion for challenging their own limits.