Are you ready for a big leap? The last few months have been a real series of acrobatics and contortions for the entire entertainment industry. At Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, we remain ambitious and passionate about our work, and we always know how to get back on our feet. Our brand is alive and well today, and we look forward to bringing our shows back to our audiences with new health and safety measures, ensuring the well-being of our employees and fans.
Our hearts are pounding at the thought of reopening our theatres and big tops across the world and we are excited for the future of our company!
Hold your breath and dive into the action: are you ready to work for one of Cirque du Soleil’s most iconic shows? We are looking for a Projection Technician whose role will be to executes the company’s core service standards, brand attributes, and sustainability initiatives. Under the guidance of the Assistant Head of Projections, job functions include working as part of the projections team to install and maintain projections equipment in a safe and consistent manner for the show. All duties are to be performed in accordance with department and property policies, practices, and procedures.
The Projection Technician will:
- Run projections department cue tracks, operate and troubleshoot projections equipment, as directed for performances, artist training and maintenance;
- Under the guidance of the Assistant Head of Projections, maintain cue track documentation;
- Develop a thorough knowledge of projection department equipment specific to the production, in order to operate equipment safely;
- Participate in special projects, including the installation of the new projection show elements;
- Maintain a safe working environment by conforming to the established safety policies and procedures;
- Participate in required safety classes and emergency rescue procedure trainings;
- Maintain a flexible schedule for work calls, special events, rehearsal and training, maintenance and evening show performances;
- Preserve on a nightly, ongoing and long-term basis, the “opening night” quality of the designer’s vision and the artistic integrity of the production, according to the needs of artistic, technical and company management;
- Work with the Assistant Head of Department and artistic and stage management staff to support their needs during rehearsals, trainings and performances;
- Assist in the development and implementation of preventative maintenance routines and inspections – particularly life safety and show critical – for all departmental equipment, as well as equipment that may not be directly owned by the company but has significance to the show and a relationship to the department’s function; ensure that these routines and inspections are appropriately documented;
- Under the direction of the department head and Assistant Head of Department, ensure all departmental designs, equipment, systems, functions, procedures, show tracks, maintenance and inspections logs, special projects, etc., are properly and adequately documented using standard tools, maintenance databases and other computer tools, drawings, photographs, logs, spreadsheets and other methods that may be appropriate; creation and design intent should be documented, as well as on-going changes to the show;
- Ensure all aspects of all documentation created and/or maintained by the department are up-to-date;
- At the discretion of the Assistant Head of Department, perform administrative duties for the department;
- Adhere to, and promote, all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, as they pertain to the safe operation of all elements related to the show;
- Work with the department head to establish and maintain training and backup plans to ensure continuity of performance operations of the department in the event of unexpected failure of a system, component or piece of equipment;
- Set up and maintain an interactive projections system consisting of several computers, projectors, cameras, networks and other stage related equipment;
- Set up and handle the administration and maintenance of windows and Mac based PC’s connected to a wide variety of stage equipments;
- Set-up, calibrate and maintain multi-stacked DLP video projectors;
- Coordinate with other departments, to ensure safe training, rehearsal, show environments and operations;
- Perform all other job-related duties, as requested.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience with interactive visual technologies and stage performance;
- At least 1 year of experience with video technologies and technical theatre, with specific training in electronics and theatrical lighting systems;
- Working knowledge in interactive visual technologies;
- Working knowledge of MDI, DMX, Max / MSP;
- Previous experience with PC hardware setup and administration, large format video projectors, video cameras, hardware and software video capture, editing and compression;
- Previous experience in programming, operating and maintaining Media Server Playback systems and using their affiliated hardware and software;
- Previous experience in PC hardware set-up, maintenance and administration;
- Previous experience with both PC & Mac operating platforms;
- Working knowledge of Ethernet and wireless technology (TCP/IP, UDP, Switches, Firewalls);
- Previous experience with technologies including DVI, HDMI, Fiber optics and RAID systems;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to lead and mentor a team;
- Possess interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts;
- Professional appearance and demeanor;
- Available to work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken;
- 10-hour OSHA course completion card required.
Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin or ancestry.