NOTE #1 - This position is classified under MGM Resorts International. If you are considered for a position, you will be required to participate in the MGM Resorts International selection process.
NOTE #2 - In order to be considered for this position, you must apply through the MGM career website.
NOTE #3 - Cirque du Soleil cannot process immigration paperwork for this position therefore candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
Become one of the stars behind the show and become part of the world’s most powerful entertainment brands. Our Company has one exciting mission: To entertain the human race.
Lead Special Effects Technician is responsible for working as part of the Special Effects team to install, maintain, and operate Special Effects equipment in a safe and consistent manner and providing all other supporting services.
- Lead and manage a team of employees within the special effects department.
- At the discretion of the Department Supervisor and Head of Department, assist in managing and supervising certain administrative aspects of the department.
- Support Department Supervisor and Head of Department in forecasting and budgeting for department.
- Manage daily scheduling of department with Department Supervisor.
- Oversee all departmental rehearsal and training and show calls with the guidance of the Department Supervisor.
- Support Department Supervisor and Head of Department with procurement and receiving of goods as needed.
- Run special effects department cue tracks, operate and troubleshoot special effects equipment as directed for performances, artistic training and maintenance.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of Special Effects department equipment specific to the production in order to operate and maintain equipment safely.
- Set up and maintain a complex special effects system consisting of multiple computers, networks, consoles, atmospherics, pyrotechnics, and other stage related equipment.
- Manage and complete special projects including the installation of the new special effects show elements.
- Work with the Department Supervisor, technical management, artistic staff, and stage management staff to support their needs during rehearsals, trainings and performances.
- Ensure all departmental designs, equipment, systems, functions, procedures, show tracks, maintenance and inspections logs, special projects, etc are properly and adequately documented.
- Adhere to and promote all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations as they pertain to the safe operation of all elements related to the show; participate in all required health and safety classes and emergency rescue procedure training.
- Establish emergency procedures for show systems and situations with the Department Supervisor, Head of - Department, technical management, stage management and the rest of the technical team and ensure that all artists, technicians and staff are familiar with and trained on all pertinent procedures and equipment.
- Assist other departments as needed to run performances and rehearsals.
- Perform all other job related duties as requested.
- At least 3 years of experience operating theatrical special effects technologies for large scale theatrical productions.
- Previous experience in maintenance and field repairs of a wide variety of theatrical special effects equipment.
- Previous experience with theatrical networking protocols such as MIDI, DMX, Artnet, and sACN.
- Previous experience with theatrical lasers.
- Ability to obtain applicable certifications from state and local authorities.
- Ability to program and operate a variety of lighting consoles and pyrotechnic firing systems.
- Ability to work while in a harness.
- Ability to perform special events integration.
- Ability to manage interdepartmental cooperation with cue tracks.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and function well under pressure.
- Working knowledge of Ethernet and wireless technology (TCIP/IP, UDP, Switches, Firewalls.).
- Working knowledge of PC hardware set-up, maintenance and administration.
- Strong background in electronics diagnostics and repair.
- Comprehension of basic principles of AC and DC electricity.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to lead and mentor a team.
- Have interpersonal skill to deal effectively with all business contacts.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Working knowledge of PC and Mac Operating Platforms.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Able to effectively communicate in English, in both written and oral forms.
- Completion of OSHA 30.
- Previous experience working in a similar resort setting.
*This is not intended to include every duty or responsibility of the job nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do this job.