Note: This job posting is to fill a temporary position on the MSC Meraviglia cruise ship. If you are hired for this position, you will be an employee of our partner, MSC Cruises. This means you will be on their company payroll and will comply with their employment policies. Also note that this position involves working and living aboard a cruise ship for 8 to 11 months with possibilities of renewal. Contract stating in September 2019.
Our partner, MSC Cruises, is looking for a Sound Technician to join the team on MSC Meraviglia. Reporting to the on-board Technical Director, you are responsible for establishing and maintaining the safety and consistency of all the audio elements for all performances.
· Act as the main sound operator;
· Work closely with the musicians, singers in supporting their needs during rehearsals, trainings, and performances;
· Work with other departments to coordinate and support the performances, training, rehearsals and all other technical work;
· Oversee inspections, maintenance and troubleshooting of video, sound and communications equipment and ensure that these routines and inspections are appropriately documented and up to date;
· Update sound archives: inventory, focus, cueing documentation, system specifications;
· Collaborate on changes and ongoing development of the show;
· Maintain a safe working environment at all times by adhering to and enforcing established workplace health and safety policies including fall protection protocols; the use of personal protective equipment; safe handling of tools, equipment and hazardous substances; and the promotion of respect for the dangers of the working environment;
· Establish emergency procedures for show systems and situations with technical management, stage management and the rest of the technical team and ensure that all artists, technicians and staff are familiar with and trained on all pertinent procedures and equipment;
· Establish and maintain training and backup plans to ensure continuity of performance operations of the department in the event of unexpected failure of a system, component or piece of equipment;
· Replace and/or assist other technicians at different positions during shows;
· Perform any other task requested by the Technical Director.
· College diploma (or equivalent) in live entertainment, theatre production, electronic or electricity (or equivalent work experience);
· Minimum of 3 years of live sound mixing experience on both analog and digital mixing platforms in a concert or theatre environment;
· Knowledge in Yamaha digital console, QLab and digital audio transmission and handling protocols;
· Operational knowledge of computer based real time audio analysis systems;
· Fluency in both Mac and Windows computer operating systems;
· Installing & maintaining large scale theatrical audio systems and equipment, computerized audio consoles, networking, electronics, RF systems and frequency coordination;
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; the applicant should be able to pass a CEFR Level A1 English examination;
· Be authorized and available to tour full time aboard a ship and to work in foreign countries.
· Flexibility & autonomy
· Good communication skills;
· Ability to handle contingencies and work well under pressure.
Cirque du Soleil at Sea
MSC Cruises pair up with Cirque du Soleil to offer its guests, in a purpose-built entertainment venue, a Cirque du Soleil at Sea
exclusive shows, on-board the Meraviglia fleet.The
shows are created and produced by 45 DEGREES, a Cirque du Soleil company that also creates exclusive content, immersive experiences and customized events all over the world.
The world’s fourth largest cruise line and largest privately-owned cruise company, and market leader in the Mediterranean, South America and South Africa. Following several years of unprecedented growth, MSC Cruises sails throughout the year in the Mediterranean, and offers a wide range of seasonal itineraries.