We are continually creating new shows and developing innovative projects and the list keeps growing. In anticipation, we encourage you to submit your candidacy for a future Director – Site Operations opportunity. We are eager to discover your profile and look forward to getting to know you!
As Director - Site Operations at Cirque du Soleil, you will be responsible for planning and overseeing all aspects of the tour’s infrastructure, logistical operations and its budget management. In collaboration with the Senior Director – Technical Operations and the tour’s directors, you will participate in ensuring the safety and smooth running of the current show site, as well as play an active role in preparing the next site for the Big Top’s arrival.
You will be known for:
· Determine and communicate directions, overall objectives and performance levels to be achieved, and define the structure and roles of positions in his/her sector;
· Establish and prioritize budgets for his/her sector while remaining accountable for adhering to the allocated budget;
· Guide efforts and resources in relation to short- and medium-term objectives, action plans, projects and programs;
· Ensure the smooth running of his/her field's operations;
· Represent Cirque du Soleil with partners /service providers in invitations for bids, negotiations and contract signing and management;
· Have a thorough knowledge of and apply Cirque du Soleil's governance principles;
· Assess and plan for short- and medium-term workforce needs for his/her sector, and define the talent management strategy in terms of staffing, professional development, engagement and succession planning.
· Manage all aspects of logistical operations related to the site, the performance, artistic quality and compliance with standards for the show;
· Plan, supervise and lead all on-site technical operations from beginning to end in each city—i.e. construction, installation, performances, tear-down and restoration;
· Work with the tour's Director – Technical to ensure the proper functioning of the site, and coordinate the scheduling of tear-down and set-up, and operations of transfers;
· Make sure that the site is a safe environment to ensure optimal comfort for spectators and tour members, and ensure high artistic quality;
· Plan and apply emergency measures, together with the Company Manager and the Team Leader – Security;
· Ensure adequate application of emergency measures and workplace health and safety procedures in accordance with both company policies and the laws in effect (team training, exercises, etc.);
· Manage all tour equipment, and ensure all programs related to equipment use, maintenance and acquisitions are applied in collaboration with the Infrastructures Department, Technical Show Support Department, Tour Planning Department and the Senior Director – Technical Operations. Keep and archive maintenance logs and records;
· Plan and coordinate infrastructure modifications and acquisitions, working with the Infrastructures Department and Senior Director – Technical Operations;
· Coordinate all rental equipment with the Coordinator – Purchasing in collaboration with Director – Technical, and manage the relationship with equipment vendors;
· Plan and manage Tear Down, Set up operations and City Run for Infrastructures and staff management in coordination with Director – Technical and the Senior Director – Technical Operations;
· Ensure policies and procedures are followed, including those related to health and safety;
· Provide logistical support to marketing, sponsors and external partners in conjunction with the marketing department;
· Actively contribute to the cohesive management philosophy within the CODI on tour;
· Carry out all required duties expected of a director on site (DOD shifts, tour management meetings and reports, marketing representation, etc.);
· Participate in all meetings related to the position, including but not limited to, Technical Operations Meetings, Head of Department meetings, marking reviews, transport meetings, forums, planning and project meetings, CODI as well as corporate meetings.
· As Director, take an active approach in the tour management forums and shared responsibilities under the Company Manager’s leadership;
· Supply the Site & Venue Development Departments with all the technical information necessary to find sites;
· Negotiate local contracts for temporary staff according to agreements in place.
We want to meet you if you have:
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field; a pertinent combination of academic background and professional experience will also be considered;
· Ten years' experience in show business or events technical management, including 5 years in management and touring experience;
· Strong experience in budget and personnel management;
· Experience travelling, working and living abroad;
· Good organizational skills and the ability to manage priorities;
· Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
· Ability to work well under pressure;
· Knowledge of Microsoft applications for Windows;
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, fluency in French or any additional language is an asset;
· Available to tour internationally full time and to work in foreign countries.