Senior Advisor - Accounting Standards and Financial Information
Life at Cirque is about sharing our passion and about creating wonder with talented colleagues, all the while delivering at the highest quality in a fast-moving environment. Boldness and curiosity are a part of our DNA and hopefully a part of yours too. Together, we work hard, juggle priorities, shift trajectories, have loads of fun and, above all, dare to reinvent ourselves and meet new challenges
Accounting Standards plays a strategic role in Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group’s Finance team, providing the department and business units with consulting services on the application of accounting standards and the reporting of financial information for complex and unusual transactions.
As a Senior Advisor reporting to the Director – Accounting Standards, supporting the Accounting Standards team, your duties will include:
- Analyzing contracts, drafting related accounting positions, and coordinating with Financial Information and Operational Accounting regarding the procedures required to meet financial information requirements for Cirque’s contractual agreements, implement new transactions and draft opinions.
- Integrating new subsidiaries with multidisciplinary teams (e.g., Taxation, Legal, Treasury), including the assessment of accounting policies and their alignment with Cirque’s own policies;
- Implementing structured internal accounting standards that meet Cirque's needs, keeping these current and ensuring that they are available and communicated properly to Cirque stakeholders;
- Analyzing and documenting depreciation tests for the long-term assets of both the group as a whole and its component entities;
- Identifying and analyzing the impact of changes to accounting standards on financial statements, disclosure and the accounting process.
- Providing technical support with regard to accounting standards and financial accounting to the various Finance teams and business units;
- Helping implement models to support analyses of new accounting standards and contracts;
- Preparing pro forma and documentation during complex or unusual transactions (e.g., acquisitions, internal reorganizations, new structures) and coordinating said transactions’ accounting with the various teams involved;
- Monitoring ongoing changes in accounting standards applicable to the company and keeping your technical knowledge current in order to provide advice on US GAAP accounting and other standards that may have an impact the financial information of Cirque and its subsidiaries;
- Helping draft and review notes for financial statements and the framework for consolidated financial statements audited, in compliance with according to accounting standards;
- Reviewing the financial statements of Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group’s companies to ensure they are complying with accounting standards;
- Preparing and delivering internal training sessions on the latest developments in accounting standards and various accounting topics.
We would like to meet you if you have:
- A recognized accounting designation (CPA, CA);
- At least five years' relevant experience as a professional in a similar position or in financial information;
- A solid grasp of accounting theory, consolidation and the application of accounting principles;
- Good knowledge of US GAAP accounting practices (an asset);
- A keen ability to interpret accounting standards and their practical application in business transactions and contexts;
- Thoroughness, an analytical mindset, sound professional judgment, and the ability to multitask;
- The ability to work in a dynamic and stimulating environment with tight deadlines and evolving priorities;
- High-level proficiency with Excel and extensive experience with SAP and Longview (or equivalent systems);
- Fluency in English and French, both spoken and written.
Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is much more than just a show: it’s also you. At the centre of Cirque's creative energy are talented people with a passion for challenging their own limits.