Note: This job posting is to fill a temporary position on one the MSC ships. If you are hired for this position, you will be an employee of our partner, MSC Cruises. This position involves working and living aboard a cruise ship for 6 to 9 months with possibilities of renewal.
Under the supervision of the Technical Director, the rigging technician is responsible for safe and consistent operation of all rigging and acrobatic equipment for the 2 shows on board.
· Ensure the safe setup, use and maintenance of all rigging equipment used by cast and crew during performances, rehearsals, training and maintenance periods;
· Operate rigging equipment during performances and rehearsals;
· Perform safety checks for all aerial acts during performances;
· Implement, document and ensure compliance with the rigging equipment safety inspection program as set forth by Cirque du Soleil and MSC;
· Coordinate with the other departments on stage as needed to run performances, rehearsals and all technical work;
· Assist with inventory and, if necessary, identify any additional rigging equipment that may be required;
· Replace and/or assist other technicians at different positions during shows;
· Adhere to standards and regulations pertaining to the safety of rigging equipment, and comply with safe working methods as set forth by Cirque du Soleil and MSC;
· Participate in the maintenance of technical equipment;
· Perform any other task requested by the Technical Director.
· College diploma (or equivalent) in live entertainment or theatre production (or equivalent work experience);
· A minimum of 2 years' experience as a rigger. Experience in aerial/performer rigging an asset;
· Good general understanding of all technical aspects of a show an asset;
· Ability to work at height is essential;
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office;
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; the applicant should be able to pass a CEFR Level A1 English examination;
· Be authorized and available to tour full time aboard a ship and to work in foreign countries.
· Flexibility, autonomy;
· Be a team player;
· Good communication skills;
· Ability to handle contingencies and work well under pressure.
Cirque du Soleil at Sea
MSC Cruises, in partnership with Cirque du Soleil, offers its guests, in a purpose-built entertainment venue, Cirque du Soleil at Sea exclusive shows, on-board the Meraviglia fleet.
MSC Cruises is the world’s fourth largest cruise line and largest privately-owned cruise company, and market leader in the Mediterranean, South America and South Africa.