** This posting is for both full-time and on-call positions. Please select what status you are available for in the application.**
Are you ready for a big leap? The last few months have been a real series of acrobatics and contortions for the entire entertainment industry. At Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, we remain ambitious and passionate about our work, and we always know how to get back on our feet. Our brand is alive and well today, and we look forward to bringing our shows back to our audiences with new health and safety measures, ensuring the wellbeing of our employees and fans.
Our hearts are pounding at the thought of reopening our theaters and big tops across the world and we are excited for the future of our company!
Hold your breath and dive into the action: are you ready to work for one of Cirque du Soleil’s most iconic shows? We are looking for a Carpenter Technician whose role will be to run multiple show tracks in an efficient and safe manner, in accordance with Cirque du Soleil standards and policies. They will also need to accomplish daily maintenance, inspections and training per the artistic schedule. Technicians will be expected to work with other departments to accomplish the daily needs of the room.
The Carpenter Technician will:
- Run cue tracks to position scenic elements and related equipment as directed for performances, artist training, and maintenance;
- Manage and complete projects when assigned by Show Assistant Lead;
- Maintain stage and backstage areas;
- Inspect and repair stage equipment;
- Update maintenance and inspection records as directed;
- Stay up to date in regard to safety and training requirements, as per the company and official regulating agency guidelines;
- Assist the Department Leads in the development of preventative maintenance routines and inspections – particularly life safety and show critical;
- Ensure all departmental inspections are properly documented in maintenance logs;
- Maintain a flexible schedule for show calls, special events, rehearsals, training and maintenance;
- Support Department Leads with special projects, including the research and integration of ongoing maintenance and the construction and installation of new scenic show elements;
- Assist other departments as needed to run the performances, rehearsals, and training;
- Adhere to and promote all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations as they pertain to the safe operation of all elements related to the show; participate in all required health and safety classes and emergency rescue procedure training;
- Cooperate with other departments to ensure safe training, rehearsal and show environments;
- Develop a thorough knowledge of all carpentry department equipment specific to the production in order to operate equipment safely;
- Perform all other tasks necessary for the success of the department and/or required by the Supervisor and Lead.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma and or GED required;
- At least 1 year of previous experience as a professional Stage Carpenter working on large-scale productions;
- Experience working as a run crew technician and running show cue tracks;
- Welding certification an asset;
- Ability to critically analyze problems and find solutions;
- Advanced power and hand tool skills;
- Formal fall protection and overall safety training an asset;
- Experience working with metal, wood working, rigging, welding, mechanical and pneumatic an asset.
- Ability to operate or train to operate various lifts and heavy equipment;
- Standard theatrical construction technique experience;
- Knowledge of basic mechanics, electricity and electronics an asset;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Experience in finish carpentry an asset;
- Experience with Scenic Painting an asset;
- Strong knowledge of MS Office: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- 10-hour OSHA course completion card required.
Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin or ancestry.