** This posting is for both full-time and on-call positions. Please select what status you are available for in the application.**
Are you ready for a big leap? The last few months have been a real series of acrobatics and contortions for the entire entertainment industry. At Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, we remain ambitious and passionate about our work, and we always know how to get back on our feet. Our brand is alive and well today, and we look forward to bringing our shows back to our audiences with new health and safety measures, ensuring the wellbeing of our employees and fans.
Our hearts are pounding at the thought of reopening our theaters and big tops across the world and we are excited for the future of our company!
Hold your breath and dive into the action: are you ready to work for one of Cirque du Soleil’s most iconic shows? We are looking for an Automation Technician whose role will be to support the automation systems to ensure show readiness and safety by performing maintenance on electrical and mechanical equipment above the stage, developing a thorough knowledge of all automation and control systems, maintaining inventory of spare parts and supplies, and providing all other supporting services. Automation Technicians report to the Department Supervisor. All duties are to be performed in accordance with department and property policies, practices, and procedures.
The Automation Technician will:
- Operate the automation control console and cue tracks in a safe and consistent manner for performances, artist training, and maintenance operations.
- Maintain cue track documentation and participate in cue track rotation as directed;
- Inspect and maintain electronic, hydraulic and motorized equipment and systems as directed;
- Control machines and processes, by using either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes;
- Operate mechanized devices, or equipment, by running, maneuvering, navigating or driving vehicles or mechanized equipment, such as forklifts and passenger vehicles;
- Update maintenance and inspection records within Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as other show specific software such as AutoCAD and maintenance databases;
- Maintain a safe working environment by conforming to all established safety policies and procedures;
- Adhere to and promote all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations as they pertain to the safe operation of all elements related to the show; participate in all required health and safety classes and emergency rescue procedure training.
- Maintain a flexible schedule for work calls, special events, rehearsals, training, maintenance and evening show performances;
- Develop a thorough knowledge of automation equipment specific to the production in order to operate it safely;
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationships, by developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time;
- Participate in special projects including the installation of new automated show elements, and interdepartmental projects that include automated elements or other needs that may fall within the technician’s specialty as directed;
- Perform all other job-related duties as requested.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- At least 1 year of previous experience operating and maintaining motion control systems and/or theater experience with high large-scale productions;
- Strong metal fabrication skills such as cutting, grinding, fitting, aligning and welding;
- Strong mechanical drafting skills, knowledge of AutoCAD and SolidWorks is an asset;
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints and schematics;
- Working knowledge and experience with industrial machines, motors, gearboxes and related tools, including design, uses, repair, and maintenance;
- Working knowledge of AC\DC theory and electrical safety;
- Excellent customer service skills and professional demeanor;
- Ability to work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- Ability to work in active environment requiring standing, sitting, bending, crawling, climbing, crouching and kneeling, often for extended periods;
- Able to lift 50 pounds;
- Able to effectively communicate in English, in both written and spoken forms;
- Fluency in English, French is an asset;
- 10-hour OSHA course completion card required.
Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin or ancestry.