Reporting to the on-board Technical Director, the Automation Technician is responsible for operational safety and consistency of all the automation elements of the 2 shows on board.
Note: This job posting is to fill a temporary position on one of the MSC Cruises ships. If you are hired for this position, you will be an employee of our partner, MSC Cruises. This position involves working and living aboard a cruise ship for 6 to 9 months with possibilities of renewal.
· Operate the automation console during shows, rehearsals and training (eChameleon console and Nomad software);
· Coordinate with the other departments on stage to run the performances & rehearsals and all technical work;
· Participate in the inspection, preventive maintenance and repair of automation equipment, including the lifts, winches and turntables;
· Replace and/or assist other technicians at different positions during shows;
· Serve as a trouble-shooter during shows and rehearsals;
· Ensure all installations are safe at all times;
· In collaboration with Technical Director, ensure the preventive maintenance, repair and technical adaptation of automation systems;
· Adhere to standards and regulations pertaining to automation equipment safety and comply with safe working methods as set forth by both Cirque du Soleil and MSC;
· Follow and support the equipment and inventory management procedures;
· Perform any other task requested by the Technical Director.
· College diploma or a combination of studies and work experience in live entertainment, theatre production or electronics;
· 2 years' experience in automation systems;
· Good technical knowledge of automation systems (PLC, AC motor control, slave systems, control loops, electrical systems);
· General knowledge of mechanical and electronic systems;
· General knowledge stage tech equipment (eChameleon console and Nomad software)
· General knowledge of lighting systems (an asset);
· Show experience (an asset);
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; the applicant should be able to pass a CEFR Level A1 English examination;
· Be authorized and available to tour full time aboard a ship and to work in foreign countries;
· Flexible, autonomous and team-spirited;
· Good communication skills;
· Ability to handle contingencies and work well under pressure;
Cirque du Soleil at Sea
MSC Cruises pair up with Cirque du Soleil to offer its guests, in a purpose-built entertainment venue, a Cirque du Soleil at Sea exclusive shows, on-board the Meraviglia fleet. The shows are created and produced by Cirque du Soleil Events & Experiences.
The world’s fourth largest cruise line and largest privately-owned cruise company, and market leader in the Mediterranean, South America and South Africa. Following several years of unprecedented growth, MSC Cruises sails throughout the year in the Mediterranean, and offers a wide range of seasonal itineraries.